Thursday, May 12, 2016

wedding siggy quilt

I finished the wedding quilt for my niece.  I had a lot of fun quilting this.  It is about 60 inches square.  I used wool batting to make the quilting pop.  The thread is glide, white in the signature blocks and cloud (the color) in the feathered panels.  That silhouette is fused with Steam a Seam II lite.  
I have made a few of these signature quilts.  I made one for a friend who was dying of cancer.  She was the president of our Newcomers club.  So I took the quilt to all the functions and got so many signatures.  She kept it by her side into her last hours and her daughters draped the quilt over the podium at  her funeral because it meant so much to her.  
I also made one for a friend who was moving and brought blocks to the going-away party.  

I made this wedding quilt for another niece a few years ago:
Her wedding colors were black and white, so I had a lot of fun with those b&w prints.

Here are some close-ups of the side panels with the bride and grooms names, and surname on top.



and darn it, they all imported upside down again!!  But you get the picture I bet...


The center silhouette was found on a wedding cake site.  So cute.



I thought the subtle quilting of their names would draw in the quilt admirer.  





This bottom panel uses a quilting design that I saw on krista withers blog.  She is amazing, see how the feathers go through the wreath of feathers.  That was fun to do.  

Want to try a siggy quilt?:  Rachel at psiquilt has a great tutorial.  

I premarked my blocks with blue water erasable pen so that people would sign inside my quilted lines, and for the most part they did that.  I stood near the guest book at the reception and gave instructions.  But still.... some of them got away from me and signed outside the lines (what're you gonna do?)...  

I marked my blocks with a blue water erasable marker which gave me a little grief when I had to sew the blocks together and press.  I had to be very careful not to press the blue pen because it can heat set and not come out.  I have not ever had this happen, but I have heard of it happening to others.  

I used pigma pens - the .05 micron ones.  They made for a clear enough signature, but not too dark, and not too light (like the .01 micron).  They were green and blue pigma pens to match the quilt colors.  

I discouraged guests from writing anything but their names.  Just my pet peave, but in the b&w quilt above, some people got so carried away.  And what they wrote is on there permanently and can be quite inappropriate.  So I asked them to just put their names - mean huh?  They can write that stuff on a card....  this is a quilt, right?  


I hope you enjoyed this, maybe you would like to make a signature quilt for a gift?  

Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God. Leo Buscaglia


Karen


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilt and quilting! Glide thread is wonderful to work with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Karen,
    What a fantastic quilt, and such gorgeous quilting - and what a nightmare supervising the guests writing their signatures!
    Thank you for linking up with Free Motion Mavericks!
    Love, Muv

    ReplyDelete